Tuesday, September 18, 2007

good morning

Good morning
Look at the valedictorian scared of the future
While I hop in the De Lorean
Scared-to-face-the-world complacent career student
Some people graduate, but we still stupid
They tell you read this, eat this, don't look around
Just peep this, preach us, teach us, Jesus
-
Kanye West, "Good Morning"

I had breakfast with Tim today, and after some good conversation and a trip to Target to pick up some fun for my man R.J. who is giving one of his kidneys to his cousin today, I was driving home and listening to Kanye's new album. I think the combination of the two classes I have on Tuesday nights is a recipe for some big change...I am taking a Mystical Theology class where we are studying the early Desert Fathers, followed by a class on preaching. While I am wrestling with both in very different ways, the readings and the classes are wonderful explorations of my most personal and communal theologies. Union with God and community, and the event of preaching.

As I was listening to the first track on Kanye's album "Good Morning", this morning, this verse (above) struck me in a way as another perspective of the promise I made to myself this year. I promised myself to start putting forth more of my own ideas, new theologies and perspectives that I am wrestling with and trying to articulate. Even though the teachers and preachers are often trying to convince me of "the" way to preach, view baptists, understand the reformation, or new theologies or expressions of church, I promised to start speaking up, questioning out loud more, and find my voice amidst the chorus around me. I'm not going to disregard or stop listening to these voices, these teachers and preachers, but I don't want to wake up years from now, and feel like I never digested what I was told or instructed or learned. I might just join Mr. West for a trip in the De Lorean this year...so good morning.

6 comments:

Tom said...

I'm glad you're going to speak up Josh. I think you have a lot of good to offer and say. If I may (as a Pastor and your friend) bring your people along slowly though. I don't think shock and awe is always the best way. Sometimes "yes." Now seminary...bring it on buddy. Can't wait!

Josh said...

hey Tom, thanks for the comment. i'm with you, i'm not all shock and awe. i've been here 3 1/2 years, and i haven't shocked and awed yet. this post is an out loud commitment to myself (and others)to finally start to speak up, when normally i avoid confrontation, or simply sit idly by when i know we are going through some theologically incoherent spaces as a church or leadership.

this post was less of a "this year the church i'm working for is going to get it from me however i want to tell them" and more of a commitment to be more open with my pastor and community when i'm not cool with stuff. this doesn't mean i speak up at every chance, or that i'm assuming i'm right...rather, it's a fresh start for me. i'm starting anew, and going to give it "the ol' college try" and try to live more truthfully theologically with the community as it seems to be right with me and with the Spirit.

Stephen Gray said...

Way to go Josh and good morning to you!

Sadly, all I could think of at first when I read your post was an old high school friend who had a De Lorean - man, I'm old!

Josh said...

Stephen, that is amazing. wouldn't it be cool to have a De Lorean today? man that would be fun....

Tom said...

Well it was a good post. I thought you were going to turn into the Hulk and start to kick some butt. Lord knows some butt needs to be kicked. I hope to build up the courage to join you in your "honest" endeavor.

Josh said...

Thanks Tom...I did like the Hulk when i was a kid...maybe i will turn green and mess with those who mess with the ones i love...hmmm.