Tuesday, January 05, 2010

country music and painting

I was born in Louisville, Kentucky. After three years in the bluegrass state I lived in rural Appomattox, Virginia. My parents used to even make fun of me for my country twang. But I never liked country music at all. Everyone listened to it growing up (except my parents) and I hated it.

When I started painting in college, I was told that it was simply inappropriate to not listen to country music while painting. I disagreed. Then alt-country became hip, indie-fied, and good. It became the new necessary music to listen to while painting.

Also, in the winter, I find it essential to listen to heavier, darker, more complex music. You'd think I'd get enough grey in the cold winter with short days. But apparently I do not.

In November I painted a lot of hours to earn a few extra bucks getting ready to buy a house in a really short period of time and this album by The Avett Brothers became indispensable.

Put all this together (painting+country music+winter) and The Avett Brothers new album I and Love and You simply can't get enough plays on my iPod. It is one of my favorite albums of the year, and is an album that I can't get enough of right now.

It's not all dark and depressing all the time, but it is always good. You should probably check out this video for the title track I and Love and You. So, so good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love new music recommendations - thanks for introducing me to The Avett Brothers - You probably already have heard of him, but if you haven't heard Pete Yorn's latest album, I highly recommend it - it is along the same genre lines. Also try Soulsavers...my favs are their songs "Sunrise", "Revival", and "All the Way Down"

Josh said...

Thanks Lauren. I have heard some of Yorn's latest and it sounds great. I haven't heard of Soulsavers, but I'll have to check them out soon!

I have also enjoyed: A.A. Bondy, Frightened Rabbit, Dave Rawlings Machine, and David Bazan this year amongst some other good bands!

I hope you are well Lauren!